Monday, February 28, 2011

There's no such thing as a typical day






This morning as I was getting ready, I heard a loud ruffling of papers, things falling, and a hen chatting…I could’ve sworn it was coming from the next room over…as I peeped into the hallway, the door to the bedroom was shut…I walked outside and found James (host/house owner) washing his clothes…I said, “Wasuze Otya Ssebo (How was your night/good morning)…but I think there is a hen in your room” Lo and behold…there was a hen trapped in his room. Oh, we had the greatest laugh! Even now as I think about that hen ruffling around in his bedroom, I cannot help but giggle.
This afternoon we made our journey back to the village of Ntinkalu where we were able to meet with 7 women/families! We are making much progress we have now seen 34 of 65 members, collecting the data we need, pictures are being taken, and our ideas are thriving. I would like to take a moment to introduce you to a woman we met with today. Her name is Mariam Bataka.
We learned today that Mariam is one of the very few of 65 who still are blessed to have a husband living. Mariam, who is around 51 years old, has had five children…four of the five children still live at home, joining them are three of the grandchildren.  In total there are 9 people living in a two bedroom home.  Mariam used to work at the quarry where men and women (mostly women) crush stones for a living.  However, two years ago, Mariam had a large stone fall on her ankle and has been unable to work much since this accident occurred.  She was taken to the hospital and received the amount of treatment they were able to afford and has been living with this very overwhelmingly open wound.  I could not help but think…”this kind of injury would never have gone this long without treatment…” I honestly, have never seen anything like it in my life, below I will attach a picture of Mariam’s ankle, as well as she and her children/grandchildren.
On a side note, this weekend was full of adventure. I took my first bodaboda ride (motorcycle taxi) to meet a few Notre Dame Holy Cross volunteers.  We met a group of Saturday for a sunset cruise along the Source of the Nile.  Sunday we traveled by bodaboda to Bujagali Falls (absolutely beautiful) and we ventured on to a well-known camp site for people who come from all over the world to paddle, raft, kayak what have you. I will post a few pictures as well.
Currently, I am trying to talk my immune system into being strong…fighting all the dust day by day I guess puts a wear on the ol tune up.  Henry and James (two of the founds of Lazarus Community) are surprised I’ve lasted this long without catching the flu…prayers please that this dusty flu doesn’t slow me down!
With all the love in my heart,
Anne Therese
Ps- each home I go to, it is their culture to present gifts…mangos, pineapples (one of my favorites now a day), sugar cane, eggs, avocados, etc…today…a family gave me a chicken!!






now, i guess i could say that this little parade...yes, this is typical!!!
a 'mzungu' a 'mzungu'!!
(white person)
oh...the love
cruise
Bujagali Falls
NRE campsite view from bar
Me with the Falls

No comments:

Post a Comment