Friday, April 15, 2011

I have been lost!

Jebale!!
So, "I have been lost," or "you have been lost," is a common phrase expressed when you have not seen someone for sometime, haha, I even hear it when it's only been a few days; ergo, since it has been a several days since my last post, I have been lost!
As I have been working on trying to develop a precise and down to the tee project proposal, I feel I have neglected my blog! Sorry!!
I have been so busy that the days seem to run together, I am sure you all know that feeling. Three days ago, April 12th hit my 2 month mark; wow right?! And now, it’s already half way through the month bringing us all to ¼ through the year.
I have been blessed to have discussed how to approach my proposal with a few good souls. One of which resides here in Uganda his name is Adrien, he has developed an organization called Omoana which is a rehabilitation center for hiv/aids orphans. He has had many interactions and experiences writing proposals so he has been a major help! Randomly emailing him one or two questions at a time, I feel like I’m back at school; not a bad feeling either!
However, there have been other exciting things going on in my life here other than researching etc. I was in Kampala for a few days this week, Tuesday there were some protests regarding the increase of fuel and food prices; a few people arrested not too much more than that. However, yesterday, I was back in my village of Wairaka and was planning on heading to town (Jinja) when we heard news that the protests in Kampala (1 – 1.5 hrs from where I stay) had intensified teargas and bullets were fired, more people arrested; and here in Jinja, there were also protests, people lighting things on fire in the middle of the streets; my colleague Henry told me today that the town was filled with smoke and people were everywhere. It was good that I didn’t come in town early like I had been planning, however, I am sure I would have been safe.
Today as I sit at my new regular spot called Flavours the town is going about as if nothing happened yesterday…people moving about, everyday business as usual. I somehow wish I had been in town to be able to witness such a movement.  There hasn’t been other talk of demonstrations happening but some think that if nothing is done soon about these prices, and the government continues to avoid addressing the country as a whole, there could be issues; I will keep you posted!
Nothing too radical has occurred which means, I think I have adjusted to this life of Africa in some sense! However, the one image that I did see which is struggling to escape my mind is a dead body outside of the hospital. I had just been picked up by Henry and he was dropping someone by the hospital and Richard a friend of ours said, “are you seeing, a dead body…” and there in front of me a was a lifeless human being, somehow elderly, mouth slightly open, eyes closed, skinny; his whole body besides head and feet covered. Death here in Uganda just seems so nonchalant like it is to be expected, it’s hard to put into words sometimes, but death seems to be a regular visitor in our lives here, like a neighborhood friend that comes around regularly.
On a lighter note, I look forward to this weekend a couple friends and I are planning a slight trip to the Nile River Explorer’s (NRE) campsite again, to bask in the sun, enjoy other travelers company, and bounce idea’s back and forth not only regarding our work but also life in general.  We seem to come together and somehow always seem to inspire each other it’s beautiful!  
Hard to believe that I will be in the US in less than 5 months, looking forward to seeing you all soon!
Much Love,
Anne Therese

No comments:

Post a Comment